More than a Bossa Nova- an Intermediate Guitar Workshop by Daniel Chai
The 2nd in the Kickstart series, Daniel will take the class through the essence of the Bossa Nova. With music history and the basics of what make up the Bossa Nova harmony and groove, you will go away with the essential tools to play your favourite songs in this popular and enduring genre style.
A name known to many in the music scene, Daniel has toured and worked with many artistes like Stefanie Sun, Angela Zhang and JJ Lin and has been involved in numerous local and international musical theatre productions like The Lion King, Chorus Line, December Rain and The Hossan Leong Show. Besides teaching at various institutions Like Lasalle College of the Arts and performing with various orchestras, Daniel also keeps a busy schedule producing, arranging and sessioning for various projects. He also runs a professional studio "Daniel’s Room".
Some basic knowledge of chords, harmony and plucking are needed for this intermediate level workshop. Participants are encouraged to bring their own guitars.
What you will learn:
1. Some History and background on how Bossa Nova developed as an off shoot of Samba. From about 1950s. And subsequently American musicians brought it back to US in 1960s etc
2. Basics - hand positions and fingerings
3. Basic chord types: 6/9, mi7/9, altered chords - in addition to basic 7th chords
4. Basic concept of the rhythm
a. Moving bass and chords
b. Typical chord progressions
d. One and 2 bar patterns
e. Other performance techniques
5. Brief on Samba, Afro Cuban (‘salsa’) brief - bolero, Cha Cha, mambo, nanigo etc
6. Q&A and suggested listening
~ Guitar Accessories will be given away as prizes during the workshop, Sponsored by City Music Singapore
- The event description was updated. Diff#489607 2019-10-31 05:44:07